Employment Investigations Skills & the Application of Disciplinary Procedures
Course duration: 2 days
Aims and objectives
Investigations involving employees have legal implications for both employees and employers. Key legal principles apply and must be adhered to. Frequently managers are unclear on how to proceed. They fail to understand the legal implications of what they say and do.
A defective employment investigation will prevent employers from dealing effectively with disciplinary issues. They may lead to legal proceedings which if reported by the media can convey a negative image of your organisation in the eyes of your clients or the public.
Who should attend
HR staff and managers need to know and understand the law and how they practically apply it in disciplinary matters. Best practice principles must be followed so that investigators investigate effectively and invoke a disciplinary procedure without being unfair.
This popular course is designed to give practical guidance on best practice in relation to employment and disciplinary investigations. Delegates will learn by focusing in an experiential way on the practical aspects of an investigatory or disciplinary process. The training will cover areas such as fact finding, notetaking, interviewing, weighing up the evidence and report writing so as to comply with the employees right to “natural and constitutional” justice at all times. This is done through practical exercises & roleplays on specific case studies with feedback from the trainer who is a qualified lawyer practicing in the employment field.
Delegates will leave with a checklist for employment investigations & disciplinary procedures enabling them to consider allegations, investigate using proper procedures, weigh up the evidence and make the appropriate decision.
Our team of lawyers and course designers have unparalleled experience in employment law and in providing high quality training that is tailored to your exact requirements. We also guarantee a confidential and discreet service to clients involved in high profile litigation
Key Learning Points of this course include:
- Review and update their practical understanding of essential employment law
- Have the importance of employment law procedures in the workplace put in context
- Understand the importance of a grievance procedure framework and how to apply “best practice” procedures
- Understand the importance of the principles of “natural and constitutional” justice when carrying out an investigation or applying disciplinary procedures
- Focus in an experiential way on key aspects of applying those procedures including interviewing, note taking, cautioning and report writing
- Learn how to weigh up the evidence so as to comply with legal requirements
- Experience role-plays where the procedures in a disciplinary hearing and/or legal hearing are experienced first hand